In order to ascertain the quality of the pre-defined projects of the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014–2021 Program “Climate Change Mitigation, Adaptation and Environment” (hereinafter - the Programme) and the contribution to the achievement of the objectives of the Programme, The Ministry of Environmental Protection and Regional Development (thereinafter ‑ MEPRD) as the Programme operator (hereinafter ‑ PO) shall, prior to signing a project contract for a pre-defined project, appraise the project in order to verify its quality and contribution to the objectives of the Programme as well as compliance with European Union and national legislation.
The pre-defined projects of the Programme are implemented by the following project applicants and project partners:
- MEPRD project “Integration of climate change policy in sectoral and regional policies” implemented in partnership with the Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia, the Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Centre and the Norwegian Environment Agency;
- Ministry of Agriculture project “Enhancement of sustainable soil resource management in agriculture” implemented in partnership with the University of Latvia, the Latvian State Forestry Research Institute “Silava”, the State Plant Protection Service and the Norwegian Institute for Bioeconomy Research.
18 February 2020 Cabinet Regulation No. 93 “Regulations for the implementation of the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014 ‑ 2021 programme “Climate Change Mitigation, Adaptation and Environment”” determine the conditions for the implementation of the programme.
According to the 13 November 2018 Cabinet Regulation No. 683 “European Economic Area Financial Mechanism and the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021 Management Regulations” (hereinafter – Cabinet Regulation No. 683), if the project has been intended to be implemented in partnership, the project promoter shall within 10 working days from the date when the decision enters into force regarding the approval of the project application or an opinion regarding the fulfillment of the conditions included in to the decision, or a positive assessment of the previously determined project, or the fulfillment of the conditions included in the assessment, must submit the draft of a partnership agreement to the PO for probation.
The Partnership agreement template in English is available here!
According to the Cabinet Regulation No. 683 prior signing a Partnership agreement PO will appraise the draft of the partnership agreement, checking whether there has been included all of the specified requirements of the Cabinet Regulation No. 683:
- main roles and responsibilities of the Parties;
- financial management and payment arrangements, including expenses that will be reimbursed to the project partner from the budget of the project;
- provisions on the method of calculating indirect costs and their maximum amount;
- currency exchange conditions and reimbursement;
- provisions on the arrangements for audits on the project partners;
- the detailed total project budget;
- settlement of disputes.
By 31st of August 2020 the pre-defined project application with a cover letter must be submitted in the form of an electronic document.
The project applicant may ask questions about the preparation of the project application by sending them electronically to the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than three working days before the deadline for submission of project applications.